October 16, 2010

A PSA for aspiring Nobel Laureates (I'm looking at you, Cormac McCarthy)

About a week ago the Nobel Foundation announced the 2010 recipients, and the Nobel Prize in Literature happened to be awarded to Mario Vargas Llosa. He happens to be the first Peruvian to be awarded this award. I happen to have been reading his book Conversation in the Cathedral.

"That's very nice. He's a great author. But what are you getting at - that this has something to do with you? A Latin American author hasn't won the award since 1990 (Octavio Paz); it was time," you say. But a Peruvian? in the one year I happen to be living in Peru? and reading his book?

Let's continue.

About 7 years ago we were closing in on our first year in Chicago when the Nobel Prize in Literature happened to be awarded to John M. Coetzee. He just happened to be a professor at the University of Chicago at the time - the university just blocks from our apartment and the one to whom we had recently bequeathed our souls.

"Yes, but the University of Chicago can claim more Nobel Laureates than any other university." I know. It's awesome.

Now obviously I'm not the only factor considered by the committees in Stockholm. Nevertheless, we will likely be living somewhere new in the next year or so, and that seems to be a trigger of sorts. So, amass some frequent flyer miles and keep an eye on our profile - I'll try to keep it up-to-date.

And if you're still dubious: about a month ago I happened upon a short story entitled "The Solipsist" by Fredric Brown.

3 comments:

Jeannie said...

Is this power retro-active too? Like if I one day write a novel will I automatically be in the running because we once lived in the same apartment building? If so, it may improve my chances of following through with that dream...

Mariko said...

Yeah, you'd better move to Hawaii in about 10 years so I can build up to that.
CM is my recent favorite.

I'm pretty sure that the main thing this all means is that you have pretty darn good taste in literature.

Anonymous said...

I guess I have never seen in print something like your stream of consciousness in your "blog". You do recognize you are seriously whacked do you not? Perhaps it is syntax, but I think you have some serious whackoidism going for you. You are in Peru. Is this what you can develop as a "journalist"? Having spent 25 years in the craft, I shake my head.
And I guess I am a little blown away by the strange and un-connectedness of your previous commentators. Is this in fact what the world post-baby-boomer leaves us? Holy freakness.